Yoga Poses to Improve Digestion
If you are suffering from digestive problems that include, acidity, heavy stomach, acid refluxes, gas, stomach pain, constipation, bad breath and the like then Yoga can bring you the relief that you are looking for. There are many reasons why digestive problems can occur. Some of them being, bad diet, lack of physical activity/sedentary lifestyle, stress, allergy to certain food products and improper eating habits to name a few. In this article we are going to address all these issues.
How Yoga Can Help
There are numerous Asanas (poses) in Yoga that can help stimulate the stomach, pancreas and the intestines so they become healthy and strong. Yoga Asanas can do the following:
- Increase gastrointestinal circulation
- Increase food absorption
- Reduce acid
- Increase mucous production
- Decrease gas
- Remove constipation problems
Points to Bear in Mind
We are going to look at a few Pranayama techniques and Yoga Poses that will make your digestion system strong so you never will have to face digestion problems again. Here are a few important points to bear in mind:
- Perform the following Asanas and Pranayama early in the morning in empty stomach. You can drink a glass of warm water before beginning
- Start with Pranayama and then move towards the Asanas
- Do not do these Yoga techniques in a haste. Spend at-least half hour every morning practicing yoga
- Have a positive attitude and think that your digestive system is improving as you do Yoga
- Do not do any of these techniques if you are recovering from surgery or are suffering from abdominal wounds, hernia, peritonitis, appendicitis. Consult your physician if required
- Relax for 15 minutes in Savasana pose once done (or just lie down consciously with your eyes closed)
- If you plan on taking bath, give a span of 30 minutes (from the time you completed the Asanas) before doing so.
- Have a fruit only breakfast if possible as this further aids in the cleansing process. Include apples, guava (do not chew the seeds), papaya and bananas
Yoga Poses for Digestion
These following are the Pranayama and Yoga poses that can help improve your digestive system:
Pranayama is a set of simple breathing exercises that have immense benefits. Perform the following four Pranayama every morning:
2.) Yoga Asanas:
The following Asanas can help you tone up your digestive as well as the excretory system:
- Mandukasana (Frog pose)
- Bhujangasana (cobra pose) - Instructions
- Salabhasana (Locust Pose)
- Uddiyana Bhanda (Abdominal lock) Instructions
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose) - Instructions
- Paschimottanasana (Seated forward bend) - Instructions
- Savasana (Complete relaxation posture)
Following these Asanas on a regular basis will ensure that your digestive system gets stronger and is able to perform at its peak.
Along with performing these Asanas, you also need to bear in mind that no Yoga Asana can help you completely cure your digestive problems if you continue
eating a bad diet. Make the switch to healthy and fresh food products like fruits and vegetables and lower the intake of meat. Also lower the intake
of tea/coffee and other processed beverages. Even processed fruit juices are bad so stay away from them. Lower your intake of junk food and foods
that are high in salt and sugar.
Also check the article on yoga poses for constipation
to find out about more Asanas to improve your overall health.